When the husband-and-wife team of Amy and Adam Coombes launched Melbourne-based fashion label Kloke in 2011, there was an overwhelming sense that independent fashion in Australia was winding down. Yet for Kloke, it couldn’t have been less true. While many small labels were in dire straits, the duo opened their bricks and mortar store on Brunswick Street in 2013, working with Sibling to create a minimalist zen-like fit-out. After designing the uniforms for Canberra’s Hotel Hotel and Melbourne’s MPavllion, the brand has grown in leaps and bounds.
Est caught up with Amy to get a sneak peek into what’s getting her creative juices flowing this month, including all things fashion, home and TV…
1. I’m looking forward to the change in seasons, warm winter colours and wearing a coat again. Kloke’s End Merino short sleeve tees are perfect for wearing with just about anything.
2. “New Boys” by Lust for Youth has been on fairly consistently in the studio. Perfect for keeping the pace up and the mood high.
3. I would love the Flora lamp by Marcin Rusak in our lounge! It has a real sculptural form, flowers encased in resin. From a distance it almost looks like marble.
4. I am in love with silver blue, in particular a colour called ‘scripted’ by Taubmans. We are using this in our next collection. It’s perfect with vintage red hues.
5. Le Corbusier Haus in Stuttgart. The colour says it all for me.
6. I’ve been revisiting Gary Hume’s work, in particular ‘The Wonky Wheel’.
7. Aziz Ansari in Master of None is hilarious. I’m also planning on revisiting Twin Peaks before the new series is released next year.
8. We are currently planning on a trip to Tokyo in April or May. We love it there, and I’m really looking forward to going to the 21_21 design site. They currently have an exhibition on called ‘Zakka – Goods and Things’. It’s all about lifestyle goods, things that we buy as part of our everyday life. An interesting concept as the everyday is not something we stop and admire.
9. Casa Wabi in Mexico by Tadao Ando. I love this not only for the incredible building, but for the way it points towards the South Pacific Ocean. So peaceful.
10. I can’t seem to go past the Community cookbook by Arthur Street Kitchen. So many great healthy recipes, perfect for midweek dinners. I’m especially into the miso eggplant with soba noodles and walnuts that I recently made.
11. Karl Ove Knausgaard’s My Struggle: Book #1. I have the next three waiting on the shelf – there are six books in total. It’s an autobiographical series written in the late 2000s. I’m also reading Only in New York by Lily Brett. I tend to pick this up when I’m after something a little light-hearted.
12. The light given off by the Rituals 3 Table Lamp is really beautiful.
13. I tend to use Dermalogica Skin Perfect Primer SPF 30 like a foundation. It’s actually a prep for make-up, but the slight tint seems to work well for me and my skin tone.