This villa, built circa 1910, is one of Auckland’s early waterfront homes sited on the inner Waitemata Harbour. Restored, reworked and extended by Fearon Hay Architects, the house now responds to the requirements of modern living.
The new sky-lit kitchen is placed between the original structure and its new wing, while the central space was conceived as an internal courtyard between the new and the old. This symmetry anchors the two wings and frames the harbour edge outlook, creating a direct connection to the park-like landholding and coastal views.
The seamless transition from Edwardian villa to harbour-front home is genius. The sublime, restrained palette of white – with accents of travertine, leather and brass – creates an easy, breezy and beautiful home.
PHOTOGRAPHY: Simon Wilson